This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Error handling

May 21, 2009 at 8:55 PM

This is a fantastic tool that has already proved immensly useful to me merging solution files between a large number of developers.

The error reporting could use some work, but we are probably seeing things you (and most users) do not.  We are using a 3rd party plugin that adds things to the solution file that SLNTools doesn't like, and sometimes the reporting of the location of the parsing error is incomplete or nonexistent (such as exception caught at bottom of Program.cs)

The problem is that solution files are so poorly documented that I can't claim the syntax the 3rd party is using is correct, only that Dev Studio loads the files OK, but SLNTools does not parse them. 

At any rate the tool is still great, and if I fix any error reporting I will forward the changes to you.

Thanks so much for writing it, and sharing it!

Coordinator
May 21, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Its good to know that peoples find it useful. 8)

For the parsing errors, you could also create an issue and attach the 'bad' solution file or, if you don't want to put your complete solution, maybe just include the lines that are added by the third party in the issue description. I would be happy to look at it.