Opening SlnFilter files via Visual Studio

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Edited Aug 2, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Hi,

I've just recently started using slntools  - love it - but I have a question that I wonder if any of the other users out there can help with.

One of my devs asked if it's possible to open .slnfilters via Visual Studio. Currently, the answer appears to be "No". But I was wondering...

Is there a way to get Visual Studio to recognise the .slnfilter file type and open it by launching SlnTools in the appropriate manner (with the same parameters as if it had been launched from the command line to open a solution filter), and have slntools then open the .sln file associated in the instance of Visual Studio that launched it?

If so, that would make slntools use "invisible" to the developer.

Thanks

Coordinator
Aug 2, 2012 at 11:16 PM

As far as I know, it's not possible to do it without a VS plugin. For example, the WiX plugin seem to be able to add itself to the types supported by the 'Open Project/Solution' menu. But even with a VS plugin, I don't know if the plugin could 'intercept' the opened file, generate the filtered solution and then feed the generated solution to VS. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:04 PM
I love this tool and this feature would make it easier to jump between solutions.

As any thought into making this a VS Extension? This may get around this problem.

If interested, I may be willing to give it a shot. (not sure how pull requests work on CodePlex).